Thread: Wheel Bearings
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #16
stanleyz

Well, I was close. You need a 1 and 7/16 socket to remove the hub. You will need 3/4 drive tools to get that and use it. If you don't have 3/4 drive socket set you can get a ratchet and socket at one of the china tool stores, northern will do. Then put it in the 5er and carry it in case you need to remove a hub on the road. Leave the wheel down under some pressure until you have loosened the big nut. than raise and remove the hub and bearing. I think there is also a big snap ring in there so you will need some snap ring pliers or you can dig it out with a small screw driver. I can't find what I paid for the bearings but it was $35 a pop to have them pressed. Probably best to change all the bearings but I like adventure so I changed just the bad one and carry enough tools to change one on the road if needed. I also suggest a little infrared thermometer to carry and when you are towing check the hub temp at every stop. Only takes a couple moments and if one is higher than the others all the time it probably needs some attention. Hope this helps.