View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #12
dz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunk
Quote: "good luck getting any of those controllers to work in a 2008 Ford. If you find someone who can make it work"
---------------------------------------------
igotjam, there is another recent discussion related to brake controllers. It started out discussing the GM IBC, and that led to some discussion on the Ford IBC. The subject of that thread is "GM Brake Controller". If the 08 Ford IBC is basically the same as the earlier improved Ford IBC, then the installation of an aftermarket brake controller is not a problem. Most of the problem is just in finding someone to help with getting it done.
The 2008 Ford IBC is a completely new unit.

I've posted before and read other posts about the "Trailer Disconnect" problems with some electric over hydraulic disc brake setups.

Usually someone suggests that it is easy to replace Ford IBC w/aftermarket brake controller. I have spoken with Ford, Carlisle, Dexter, Tekonsha, BrakeSmart, MaxBrake and others. They all agree that Ford does not support electric over hydraulic disc brake systems. They also agree that you cannot just splice in or replace the Ford IBC. You will generate errors on the Ford. Some say that the errors can be reset; others say the errors cannot be reset.

Ford so far says the IBC must be disconnected, but do not say how to do that successfully. Ford implies that a special cable must be used, but local dealer does not have part number or instructions on replacement.

Several brake controller companies said to keep the Ford IBC installed and splice in their system only cutting the blue wire that actually drives the brake actuator in the trailer from the IBC and instead connect blue wire to aftermarket brake controller. You will still get an error.

The trailer I have uses the latest Hydrastar Carlisle actuator that Carlisle admits has compatibility problems, but only w/2008 Ford IBC. Dextor says their actuator ($700 appr) will work fine with 2008 Ford IBC, but my trailer manufacturer says they will void warranty on brake system if I change to Dexter.

Basically I bought a 2008 Ford F450 and a trailer w/electric over hydraulic disc brakes that cannot be made to work without getting some kind of error message. I asked sales of both Ford and trailer manufacturer if I would be ok before placing order for either. Problem occurred 1st tow after picking up trailer in Indiana which is 2500 miles from Morgan Hill, Ca where I purchased F450.

If I have to live with an error, which sucks, I'll just stick with the one "trailer Disconnect" that happens every so often. The braking is very smooth and powerful. Important Note: Ford will not say if it is a dangerous to tow when this false disconnect error is occurring. They of course only state that they have not verified operation w/electric over hydraulic disc brakes. See single miniscule (small type) foot note (not in IBC descriptive section) to that effect in sales brochure. In owner's manual there is a much bigger warning, but by the time you see that you've already bought the vehicle.

I am amazed that Ford just doesn't seem to care that they have a great system that doesn't work without errors for electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Seems like most buying a 2008 F450 will want to tow big. That usually means electric over hydraulic disc brakes.

By the way the Dexter unit that works with Ford is having problems with the GM IBC.

If you know of a sure fix that will allow Tekonsha P3 or BrakeSmart controller to replace 2008 Ford IBC without generating other errors or problems please post your solution. Include wiring details for dummies like myself.
dz06 is offline   Reply With Quote