View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #43
47hook

Posts of this nature usually include braking ability. After buying our 1st 5er, I sent an email to the axle/brake manufacture touching on this subject:

"Thank you for visiting the Dexter Axle website and sending us your question.

The Dexter brakes are designed to stop the maximum rated capacity for each axle series. For example: Dexter's 8000 pound brakes (12-1/4" x 3-3/8") are designed for stopping 8000 pounds. The stopping distance is a very complicated set of formulas based on many variables. I can fax the formulas to you and provide you with the sample brake torque output curve your particular brake (by size and type - electric or hydraulic). You would have to fill in your Static Loaded Radius of your tires, the number of brakes, the brake torque at a specific input (voltage or PSI), pounds of wheel load, the traveling velocity and the time that you are actuating the brakes in order to calculate your stopping distance. There is no simple table for all these variables.

The capacity rating of the running gear will be based on the weakest link of the whole system. The trailer designer may have selected a 7000 pound beam and bearings, but only selected our 6000 pound brake assemblies (instead of the 7000 pound brakes), and only put 2600 pound rated leaf springs on the axle. This would result in only a 5200 pound axle assembly rating, NOT including the wheel and tire rating. This example would have 6000 pounds of potential stopping force but only 5200 pounds of carrying capacity.

Christine Bachman
Application Engineer"

Pretty definitive, in My Opinion. The trailer brakes will stop what they are rated at. So will the TV. So, with my original TV, I had at a minimum of 9200#'s for TV, 16K for 5er = 25,200# capacity for a GW of under 24K. Overkill. Now, I have 11,400 TV, 16K 5er = 27,400#'s for about 25K. Overkill. And, no matter how much braking capacity you have, some fool will pull out in front of you and you may not have enough room to stop, even in your brand new Z06 Corvette. Now what? Let me know if you get those formulas and what you come up with. Oh, and let me know if your owner's manual lists your stopping distances. My old 92 Corvette, IIRC had some performance numbers but they had the disclaimer of being done by a professional on a race track. Leaves me out.

I am also, as so many of us are, waiting for a definitive law that covers what we are discussing: civil weight restrictions for RV's. Website? State and #? Anything? Or is it just an opinion, even those that have the best interest at heart for our fellow RV'ers.

Again, as I have said many many times. Not saying anyone should exceed anything. Know what you weight, what your limits are/capabilities, and be careful. You are much more likely to be hit by lightening or hurt in an auto accident than be in an accident because you are a touch overweight...your TV/5er...not you...
2013 MS 38RESB3 #6393, modified with ES stuff & Garnet Paint

"The older I get, the better I was!"
47hook is offline   Reply With Quote