View Single Post
Old 08-28-2009, 12:59 PM   #9
bstark

Some observations to echo those of Mikes and Bill's; The "Trucker's Atlas" has become our bible when travelling but those height references are sometimes bogus as various states require the absolute lowest part of a span must be the posted height so you sometimes end up with a published height clearance of 11'9" for eg. when in fact, the roadway portion is over 13'. the lowest part could be over a sidewalk portion or an angular brace at it's lowest point on the side uprights. Some times also the tunnel is a curved roof and simply taking the center lane or waiting till traffic clears and moving into the center is all that's required.

That C/B radio that everyone hates to listen to can be turned on and utilized to get the info on route ahead from truckers who are only too obliging to help out if asked.

I have often used the method of following another truck I know is taller than I and although it increases the pucker factor when they turn off ahead of the low point of the route simply waiting for another tall fellow to come from the other direction is usually all the delay involved.

I have had only one situation where I removed the air from my trailair pinbox and dumped the suspension on the truck to get the front A/C under a low branch near the site I was heading for in all our travels.