View Single Post
Old 02-03-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
layne

ontheroad: The trooper didn't make us unhitch though he said he could if he wasn't so nice! We had to pay a $170 fine and got a deferred adjudication that only means that if we don't get another fine in 30 days, it won't go on the driving record. In case we get another fine, we didn't want that one on the record. If Steve didn't have a CDL, he could have taken defensive driving and not paid anything, but he wants to keep his CDL. The trooper got our a tape measure and measured us from the front bumper of the truck to the back bumper of the motorcycle trailer. He is the one that told us if a state is reciprocal, the law goes by what is legal in your home state. Since we are registered out of TX and our law is 65' that's what they go by. This was not a regular DPS trooper, it was one that we refer to as a DOT officer--he usually just messes with commericial vehicles and he was driving a black and white SUV. Even the judge's office and his sargeant that I talked to at first thought I was calling about a commerical vehicle so I think it was unusual to be ticketing RVs.