View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #14
RodeWorthy

Thom,
Sorry about the Trombetta failure comment. I had you mixed up with Lauren. Also no problem on the current rating of the RS3000 charger. I just wanted to point out it is plenty capable and able to charge at a rate that is too high for the 4 x 6V Interstate U2200 battery set (according to Interstate). I will deal with the charging issue in a separate post.

Your pump issues are not untypical. I have met or read posts from many people who have had multiple failures of the Shurflo Extreme 5.7 GPM pump. Some as many as 5 and now you report 7. Wow! I am on my 3rd one. My problems were not over voltage. My pump problems were related to 1) electronics control -- pump would continuously hunt and run on at very low speed without shutting off; 2) internal check valve failure causing pump to backfill the fresh water tank when connected to c.g. supply. I never had an outright failure of the pump where it would not run. But I agree -- being without water in not an option -- and it is our only source when dry camping. I came close to buying a spare but did not. I may regret that.

The loss of the fluorescent lamps is another matter. The number of failures you have is very high. I would suspect a problem too. My first thought about a possible cause is very high voltage spikes from the inverter due to failed capacitors in the inverter/charger. They exist to filter such spikes. You are already in touch with the right people to make that assessment so I won't speculate further on that. We have 5 fluorescent fixtures in our '07 rig and have never experienced a failure. We do not use those fixtures very often. In fact, I cannot recall any light bulbs failing.

We have the same setup you have but I have modified the factory battery wiring considerably. PM me If you would like a diagram of the changes. My converter is not connected and never has been. It is available as a stand by in case the inverter has to be removed for service.

My RS3000 is model 809-3000. Firmware revision is 1.09.00. I would be very interested to know the specifics of how your battery bank is set up in the Xantrex. Especially since they have approved it. This is a bit of a confusing area. Would also be interested to know what F/W revison they are suggesting and what they think that might fix.

I am still of a mind that the voltages (mid-14V) you are seeing are not abnormal when charging and should not be causing your problem. The values are within the range for the charging algorithm of the inverter/charger.

I am not sure what more I can offer. If there is something you would like me to check to compare my system to yours let me know. Hope you get to the bottom of this soon.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote