View Single Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #6
bstark

Oldsalt: You have a handle on the problem and I wish I could help with acquiring the shocks. I replaced all four of mine some years ago and recall getting them through a Napa store in Yuma.

Huck; I must respectfully disagree with your statement that the tire will lift off the ground if the shock is hyper-extended. My unit was raised by selling dealer by using the bottom holes in the hangers and all four of my shocks were reaching the ends of their strokes which resulted in two of those clamping plate "ears" breaking off and two of the upper mounts being pulled off as well from the others. Only one of the shocks was damaged and that was one where the upper mount was pulled off and it got caught by the tire and was bent like a pretzel.

Those 17.5" tires wheels brakes and axle ends represent considerable weight and those shocks need only reach their full extension a few times before something will give.

Lifting a trailer slowly such as by a hydraulic jack to allow the assembly to hang in the air doesn't/shouldn't cause any problems but going over a particularly rough section of interstate for many miles will indeed cause some damage if those shocks are not positioned correctly.

Being laid over on an angle reduces the travel they must endure but if they bottom or hyper-extend, over time, you'll see some negative results.