View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 03:20 PM   #6
WRWGN

my 2018 Ford F-450 brake control is not working with the Electric over Hydrualic brakes in the new Mobile Suites. Worked fine with my old trailer which were electric brakes. Ford manual doesn't mention any incompatibilities. In fact in the trailer brake options, you can select the Brake Type for Electric or Electric over Hydraulic Brakes. When I step on the brake pedal to check lights all is ok. However when stepping on the brakes a 2nd time, you'll get a Trailer Disconnected message. Some time later you'll get Directional Faults for Left and Right Directionals. Then the directionals will blink fast. I contacted DRV and they told me it is a known issue and gave me the number for Custom Towing Solutions (manufacturer of the brake actuator). CTS told me they know of the issue, they have worked with Ford on the resolution and Ford has a Service Bulletin on how to repair. They said the IBC needs to be reset and then re-flashed. I'm a retired computer tech so in a way this makes sense, but I'm no mechanic nor engineer so I am reserving judgement.

I am stranded in Elkhart, IN and my truck spent 3 days in a local Ford dealer. They could not find a Service Bulletin and said the brake controller checks out fine with their tester (which only simulates electric braking). I am trying another Ford dealer that deals with commercial trucks also. See if they come up with anything.

I posted on the Ford Diesel forum and one member posted that he wired the center pin on the 7 way plug directly to the battery and it works fine. Me, I want Ford to fix it.

So I have a brand new trailer and can't go anywhere because the brakes don't work.

If Ford cannot fix it, I may just go with an aftermarket brake controller.

10 years full-timing & loving it. Located somewhere in the lower 48
WRWGN is offline   Reply With Quote