Thread: Water Intrusion
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #10
Stripit

Send a message via AIM to Stripit Send a message via MSN to Stripit Send a message via Yahoo to Stripit
Yes, The 4 lag bolts were removed, the a/c unit rolled on its side, as there was plenty of power cord to allow that to happen on my unit. I needed to replace the seal as it was not stopping the slight water leak when it rained hard. I purchased the foam/rubber type material on a roll about 3 inches wide and maybe 15 ft long somewhere? I removed the old seal, came up off the roof top very easy. Cleaned the roof at the seal area well, cut the new seal stuff to fit tight. Used an automotive black rubber sealer to fill in the seams where I cut to stop any water from creeping through anywhere. Then used a rv sealant, forgot the name to fill the bolt holes and about 1/2 an inch around each bolt. Then set the a/c unit back down and actually used my torque wrench to torque the bolts to whatever the speck called for and then a touch more. Never had a leak again. If you over tighten you squish the seal down and it could leak, the seal needs to seal, but not be crushed. That was how i did it. I don't think from start to finish it was more than 45 minutes. Also a 1 man job. My wife would NOT go up on the roof, so just me.
1991 Avanti Conv
Stripit is offline   Reply With Quote