Thread: Winterizing
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2019, 06:38 PM   #18
RayJack

I use the A&A method. Use air to purge out most of the water and then fill with anti-freeze.
Put air to the system (30-50 psi max)
Frig: Plugged in and operating normally. Use the water dispenser to purge most of the water from the lines and cooling coils in the frig.
Dish washer: Put the waster on a rinse cycle. When you hear air, abort the rinse and let the washer pump out the water in the bottom.
Now hook up your anti-freeze jug and put anti-freeze into the water lines.
Frig: Run the water dispenser until you get pink. Now let the frig make pink ice cubes. Two batches should be fine. If you have an in door ice dispenser, then put some towels in the ice tray so you don't get anti-freeze all over. Once you have your pink ice, clean up the frig and you're done.
Disk waster: Run the rinse cycle. When you hear it start the rinsing, abort it. The washer will pump the anti-freeze down the drain. This should work fine but if you have a big p-trap on the drain you might want to do a second rinse cycle to make sure the trap is well protected.
Note: Keep water system pressurize with anti-freeze so the ice maker will run (Usually needs about 20 psi.)
It may sound like a lot of time waiting for pink ice but I find I have so much other stuff to do I'm never waiting on the ice maker.
Tip: If the rig will unoccupied in cold weather, winterize in the fall. If you take a short trip during "winter time", shut off the water to the frig and don't use the ice maker and water dispenser. Then when you re-winterize you don't have to mess with the frig.

One of these day I'm going to figure out how to "hot-wire" the ice make so I can just run it without waiting for ice.
RayJack is offline   Reply With Quote