View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Gemstone

$1200 seems a tad steep for a convenience, but maybe I just got lucky.

I found a used tool box/50 gallon fuel tank for $100. I didn't want the tool box, so I left it with the seller. I sanded and painted the tank, strapped it down in the front of the bed, and plumbed it into the truck's fuel filler neck. Rather than wire a switch into the cab, I preferred to make a wire harness with a switch, and leave it connected to a portable motorcycle battery, which I hook up to the fuel pump when I want to transfer fuel. This may seem a bit Rube Goldburg, but it works, and I have less than $250 invested.

One thing I did learn along the way, was that the filler neck on the truck is not "weldable" (makes sense, don't want sparks when filling !) so I had to insert a piece of pipe, which had some hose connection ports welded in it...for the fuel and overflow hoses from the auxiliary tank.

I have read that filling a tank while driving could perhaps confuse the truck's computer, causing it to think there is something wrong because it thinks the truck is using no fuel, thus causing some unknown problem...(maybe someone on this forum can disprove this theory)...so I transfer fuel at stops.

Hope you are as fortunate in your search for a solution.

Gemstone