View Single Post
Old 04-30-2007, 09:04 AM   #18
Motor31

I check the cold pressure on the rig tires, both vehicles, each day before we head out. It's not hard at all and it's part of the normal get going routine just like checking the oil. I also have more than one tire gauge and will check the first couple of tires on both gauges to make sure they are reading the same or withing a couple pounds. If one gauge starts reading 5 or more off I toss it and get another. They do get wear and can change.

When I was a commercial vehicle inspector I had many truckers tell me they checked tire pressure by "thumping" the tires and can tell if they were inflated properly. My gauge said differently. They couldn't tell a full pressure "thump" from one 20 PSI under on a large tire.

My trailer tires are set at max pressure, 125 PSI on the 17.5" Goodyear's. The tow vehicle tires are set by axle load. Since the front axle on the tow vehicle is so heavy those tires are also at max pressure of 110 PSI. The drive tires have a much lighter load even when the trailer is hooked up by actual scale weight. I set them to the load pressure from the manufacturer chart plus 5 PSI. That means the rears are set at 75 PSI and they are wearing evenly across the tread. The tires on the trailer are also showing even wear.

The tires I had on the old rig were G159's which were discontinued and one of them blew. Two others showed failure wear on the tread when they developed a spot across the tread that wore the tread down to almost nothing. A good indicator of a tread about to separate from the tire. All 5 of the tires were replaced by Goodyear for the G614's
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote