View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 01:45 PM   #13
GlennWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr
Like the others said, KEEP the old tire and chunk of tread. Get an estimate of repairs and tire replacement and put the claim in! A buddy just did this for the same tire and it was almost 5ys old. They paid!

As far as why it lost the tread, thats been a long long on going problem with the 614 and some others as well. You really have not too many options as to what tire you use, GY is about the only "G' game in town.

Age, temps, press, and treatment (curbing, damaging the tire) can lead to it. But it seems a lot of the separations are just not explained.

I think I remember you got your trailer used. That could explain it, no way to know how the tires were cared for before you got it. They may have been exposed to high temps, high speeds, low pressure, or mis-treated.

Being a 2005 rig, have a look at the date codes on the tires, it may be on the inside so have a good look. If they are getting to 5-6 yrs (possible depending on build date and how long they stocked the tires before build)

It might be a good time to spring for a new set.

JMHO.

Bill
My coach is an 06, my truck 05. jfyi. My tires are dated 13-06. Just slightly over 3 years old. Goodyear told me they have 5 year warranty. It is true I have no way to know how the tires were treated. The rv though looks as though it has barely been lived in. He (they) kept very good care of the inside and outside even writing down maintenance performed on coach. Seems likely they would take care of tires also. They even replaced the anode rod in the hot water heater and documented it.