Thread: Water Softeners
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
RodeWorthy

A whole house RO system is not an option for me. Too wasteful of water and I have no useful way to dispose of the brine. I might in the future consider a small RO system for water that we cook with and/or consume. ITMT we purchase RO water and store it in jugs for cooking and consumption.

We wintered in Arizona last year and I purchased additional filters (external) and a water softener. I added a one micron sediment filter and a one micron 'bug' filter ahead of the water softener which is also external. We are very pleased with the quality of the water and the soft water is just plain wonderful.

Some might object to the reduced flow due to the above setup. I experimented this spring and found the flow was mostly restricted by the one micron 'bug' filter. The sediment filter and w.s. had little effect on flow. It might have been better to use a 5 micron 'bug' filter.

With this setup all water that goes into the rig - either direct or to the tank is filtered and softened. As stated, we do not drink this water. I was always uneasy about filling my tanks directly from a c.g. spigot.

The soft water is great for eliminating water spots. I wash the rig with it and it requires little or no wiping. I use the same filters at my stick house to wash my vehicles. This keeps the filters and w.s. fresh without stagnation.

The softener we have is rated at 300 gallons and uses 16 oz of table salt per charge. The hardness of the water dictates the period between charges. It seems to range from 11 to 30 days. We bought the softener at Quartzsite but it essentially comes from RV Connection in Yuma just around the corner from the fleamarket. I paid $249.

The filters came from the RV Water Store - see link in earlier post.

I am very pleased with this addition. I hope this info helps you decide.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote