Thread: Slide Problem
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #68
Rockyhud

OK, here's the latest. I've been in touch with Jesse Meldrum at Kodiak about the hubs. He too confirmed ours are NRL (he referred to them as NVR) and gave me some insight into options. I asked about converting to hubs that use conventional inner and outer bearings, to get away from NRL type, and he said the axles are different between the two types, having different spindles. I would have to change out axles entirely to do so.

He went on to tell me I or anyone else with NRL type hubs and bearings will have to change axles when the inventory of NRL parts is depleted, probably in the next year. Once they run out of inventory they will not manufacture XL parts any more. On the phone he indicated Kodiak is one of, if not the only, manufacturing sources for NRL parts, so they are a vanishing breed.

Given all that info and the fact I can't afford to change axles, hubs and bearings now, I decided to buy 4 of the integral hub/bearing/rotor kits and 2 sets of disc brake pads so I can replace all the ones on our rig. Right now they're selling the RTR/HUB-133-8-10-XL (complete hub/bearing/rotor with 13" rotor, 5/8" lugs and dust cap) for $107.78 each. The pads for the Kodiak 250 disc brakes are DBC-250-CERM-PAD (one set for one axle - 2 inner and 2 outer) are $50 per set. Now, I'm hoping these will last us for several more years so I don't have to revisit this issue for quite some time.

One final thought to pass on is, given the fact NRL parts will soon become unavailable, anyone wanting or needing any now or think they will fairly soon, should seriously consider buying now rather than later. Otherwise they're likely going to be replacing more than just hubs and rotors.

Also, my apologies to everyone for deviating from the original thread topic on slide problems. In hindsight, I should have started a new thread about hubs and bearings. I'll be more attentive to that in the future.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote