View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 01:11 PM   #1
lnklatt

Aluminum Rim Failure

While traveling to the Rio Grande Valley last week two tires went flat while parked overnight in a RV park. To make a long story short, the aluminum rims had cracks causing the tires to lose pressure. I'm aware that some of the steel rims installed in 2005 Mobile Suites were recalled due to a manufacturing defect. Has a similar recall been issued for the aluminum rims dating from about that same time period? Have any other owners of DRV units had aluminum rim failures?

Each rim had a similar crack, about 1 1/2 inch long, on the same outside contour.

The rims and tires did not show any sign of having hit a large pot hole or other road hazard.

Our unit is a 2005 32TK3 equipped with 16 inch load range G tires; the tires are one year old. I have weight data from a commercial scale showing that the load on the tires are well within the 3750 maximum load specification. I estimate that the trailer has about 30,000 miles on it.

Any comments from DRV rig owners with a similar problem and how it was resolved are welcome.

I purchased two steel rims as a temporary fix, but would like to reinstall aluminum rims because they look nicer.
lnklatt is offline   Reply With Quote