View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
billr

Gents,

A few things on the fans and the ducting on these beasts. Most any fan will do the trick, radio shack, or online order 12V computer case fans. I ran two on ours with the Dometic fridge. It had one stock that failed and then the thermostat failed too. They are prone to this. So I put two standard cheap fans (less the $10 ea!! ) in a bracket I fab up down inside the opening near where the original was. Wired both to 2 separate switches inside the cupboard in kit. I controlled them manually. No fans in cooler temps, one in warmer and two when above maybe 75 or so. Or is full sun on fridge side. I really only had to change config once and a while. Was not that big a deal. Helped a lot on the fridge temp.

Later a friend that is an RV tech told me the opening at the top was too large and created a turbulence effect causing bad air flow. So it needed a duct installed inside nearer to below the upper panel to restrict the flow to create a type of venturi. Also needs a duct at the very top of the opening by roof to direct the air out. Stopping it from tumbling. With help from another good friend we had this done. He did it on his DRV with a double fridge and tracked the temps inside the compartment and it made a huge diff. He then moved one of the fans (or you can add another) to the upper panel on the inside. It is attached right to the panel with a bracket to angle the fan. It helped as well. He is very pleased with the results.

The Tech told us that Dometic stopped giving out new cooling units to him until he showed them the fridge install was done according to their instructions and the ducting was critical. He had to send pics. They said the trailer manufactures ignore what they tell them. Of course they do!!!

I did have to increase the fuse size for the extra fan.

So.....if anyone needs a good single fridge I think I know where one is for sale!!

Bill
05 M/S 38RL3 #2046
01 Volvo VNL770
05 Smart Passion Loaded piggyback
https://picasaweb.google.com/billandjoan
Weigh-It Portable RV Scales
https://www.weighitrv.com
billr is offline   Reply With Quote