View Single Post
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #10
Gemstone

In my case, I did nothing but change out the fans...they were an exact duplicate, so no modifications were required to accommodate the Radio Shack fans. I did add a screw type terminal strip on the lip of the access door frame to allow for future ease of changing fans, rather than making crimp splices, I can merely use crimp screw connections.
Any future fan modifications will entail making a new fan mounting bracket to accommodate a smaller fan. It seems that fans are sized in mm, not inches, the common sizes are 92mm square, or 120mm square...the size used by Dometic on our rig are 101.6mm or 4" square, by 1.5" (or 38mm) thick. The reason I would change fans is for durability. The fans used by Dometic (and Radio Shack) are cheap (no surprise), with sleeve bearings made to last maybe 30,000 hours. There are fans available for not much more money that are fluid bearing that are designed for 300,000 hours MTBF....like these slightly larger fans from New Egg.

These folks Excess Solutions sell fans for $4.00 each....the trick is finding the size that will fit with minimal modifications.

I can post a photo of the access compartment, but it is likely not different than yours.

Regards
Gemstone