View Single Post
Old 10-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #47
rdunk

Quote Motor31: ""The Dexter brakes are designed to stop the maximum rated capacity for each axle series. For example: Dexter's 8000 pound brakes (12-1/4" x 3-3/8") are designed for stopping 8000 pounds." I have 8,000 lb axles on my rig. The rig weighs 18,500 so the brake capacity by their own statement is not up to the weight of the trailer. This would be more so for those who have an Elite since they are provided with a GVW of 20,000 lbs and still only have two 8000 lb axles".
.................................................. .....................

Mike, I would assume that we need to be looking at weight on the axles, rather than weight of our trailer, relative to Dexter's axle rating stopping capacities. You and I have 4,000+ lbs of pin weight, which is not carried by the trailer axles, when towing. I assume the TV is responsible for stopping the weight it carries on its axles, which would include the pin weight.

If these "assumptions" on my part are right, then, we are pretty much ok with our 8,000lb axles, and what they have to stop.

Of course, this is why trailer mfgrs. can design in 7000lb axles for 16k GVWR trailers, and 8000lb axles for 18K GVWR trailers. Also, even when not towing, the axles should not be over weight, because the front jacks (and rear jacks) handle a significant share of the weight load.

FWIW!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote