View Single Post
Old 11-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #18
Motor31

Ken, first off. Caps. Unlock your caps lock key so you can type normally. All caps is annoying and considered rude like always shouting when speaking. In addition to the caps thing, paragraphs. Paragraphs are very nice for making something you are saying easier to read.

Secondly the feds do NOT issue licenses for commercial vehicles, the states do. In addition it does have to do with driving for pay not just weight and or size. I used to write those tickets as well as do haz mat commercial vehicle inspection investigations. If you drive for pay you need a cdl, even taxi drivers need one and their vehicles are not registered over 26,000 lbs.

Check the regs regarding drivers license classifications in the state in which you are licensed. That is the only regs you have to be concerned with as they are the ones issuing the licenses, not the feds. Reciprocity agreements require the other state LEO's to honor the drivers and vehicle licenses issued by another state. That means if you cross a state line your license will be honored in the new state as long as you are not taking up residency there.

I have seen no directives nor even heard of any through the folks I used to work with for a requirement for a CDL for RV'ers as long as they are not driving for a living like those who transport rv's to dealers. I also have not seen any indications that RV's will not be required to enter weigh stations to have their credentials checked as do commercial drivers on the highways. That includes those using converted HDT's like the one I drive as a private RV.

Until and unless someone can actually provide a link or actual document supporting the cdl requirement claims it's just another e-mail / internet myth, and not a new one either. I recall similar claims when I started RVing with an HDT over 6 years ago and it ain't happened yet.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote