View Single Post
Old 11-12-2010, 05:02 PM   #12
The View 5046

A CDL is required for Commerical Drivers and come under the Fedral laws which require a person operating a Veh over 26,001 lbs is required to have a CDL. Also depending on what your operating may require a indorsement, for Tankers, Doubles or Triples etc.

There are a few States now requiring a special Lic to operate certain types of Trucks. This isn't a CDL, in most States have now realized you can get lots of extra money for having operators ot get a special lic. The Federal Government, State and Local Governments are looking for ways to take in more money. Remember we Vote for many of these people!!!

The CDL requirments have made millions upon millions for the Federal and State coffers, made tons of money for the Medical field also. I have a CDL and its cost me several hundreds of dollars to maintain my Lic over the years. Has it made me a better driver, can't really no for sure but many have had to learn how to take a test. Really, I don't think there are safer drivers on the road today. I do know there are many excellent drivers who weren't able to pass the requirements for a CDL.

I do think that to make a CDL a requirement for all RVer's would in many cases prevent many from owning a RV, not just because of the test but because of the Medical test. I know there are many who will say, well I think everyone who owns a RV should have a special Lic. Better think about that. Just my thoughs, many will disagree.

This issue (CDL) comes up very often. Check with your State and you then will know your requirements. In my State I'm not required to have a special type Lic. to operate my Freigthtliner M2. I have trained many drivers and I really don't believe a CDL has made them better drivers. I do know now you can have more than one set of drivers Lic. At one time I was Lic to drive in 3 different States, the reason was speeding tickets, I have only had one speeding ticket in my life time. If your stopped and given a ticket, in any State and you have a CDL every State will be aware of the ticket.

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 4 (SOLD)
Trailer Saver TS 3
Pressure Pro System (SOLD)
The View 5046 is offline   Reply With Quote