View Single Post
Old 08-06-2017, 04:49 PM   #1
JtC

Help Me Understand Landing Gear Power

I've searched the forum but couldn't find this specific question/help needed answer. Sorry if I missed it so if it's out there point me in the right direction, otherwise any help is greatly appreciated.

We have a Forest River 33IK 5vr Silverback. It has the "level up" auto leveling system on it. We haven't had any issues with it at all until today. We hooked up and started the auto retract and the panel said "error. Low power". We were still hooked up to the 50 amp (and had already turned off the A/C units and put the slides in). The wife suggested maybe the CB tripped at the post. It hadn't but I recycled it anyway. Same problem. I turned the battery off and tried it, same problem. The wife manually raised one jack at a time to get us out of there but it was very slow battery in the off position).

This is why I'm confused. I thought if we're on 50 amp all weekend, batteries on or off, they should be charged, no? We usually don't even turn the battery iso switch on (have a couple of times), and I did this time for some reason.

That brings me to another question: Doesn't the hydraulic auto level system run off the 50 amp shore power as a default, rather the battery is on or not? I was under the impression that the default was if shore power is hooked up the batteries were not used and therefore should not drain, or if they are used the 50 amp is more than enough to keep them charged. Is that wrong?

My tow vehicle charged the batteries sufficiently in the 40 minute drive home to get the front gear down and unhook.

Please educate me. I can't find anything in the books that helps me so any help or explanations are greatly appreciated. ~J
JtC is offline   Reply With Quote