View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 10:10 PM   #15
rdunk

Quote: "agree it is not possible to just deactivate the ICB (numerous Ford dealers have told me "IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DO".
----------------------------------------------------------------
Well, IMHO, your first mistake is made when you take the dealer's word for something they probably don't know the first thing about. But, if the 08 Ford Integrated Brake Controller (IBC) is "totally new", then they could be right. However, can you actually buy the Ford without the IBC, or not??? If the IBC is an option, then I would guess that complete IBC deactivation would possibly be accomplished just like the earlier models.

When I was going through this in 2005, I found the dealers to be without any knowledge regarding how to install an aftermarket brake controller over a Ford IBC. I talked with the truck service group of the largest Ford dealer in Texas, and they didn't have a clue. Same with others.

Below is a post I made on this forum in 2005 that gives a little more detail regarding installation of an aftermarket controller over the Ford IBC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted this message on the RV.net Forum, and am also posting here to help any MS specific folks that might have a need is this area.

This subject has been much discussed on the 5er forums, with many of us wondering how we were going to stop our 5ers having electric over hydraulic disc brakes with our 2005 Fords. I finally now have information that is accurate enough to make the Aftermarket Trailer Brake Controller (ATBC) installation, over the Ford Integrated Trailer Brake Controller (FITBC).

First, I am going to detail the simple summary steps to change from a FITBC to an ATBC on the 2005 Ford.

a) Disconnect the 10 pin connector from the FITBC.
b) Have your local Ford dealer reprogram the instrument cluster module
to "Trailer Brake Controller Not Present" condition.
c) Using the standard 2005 Ford pigtail brake controller connector,
connect the ATBC to the ATBC 4 four pin connector.
d) Done! (other controller specific steps may be required - ie
hydraulic connection, etc.)

Facts:
1) The FITBC module has two connectors on the rear of the module. One
of the connectors has seven wires, and it is connected to the
FITBC. The other is the four pin ATBC connector, and is actually
not connected to the FITBC. It is this four pin connector that
you remove from the module for connecting the pigtail connector
to, for ATBC installation. (reprogramming must be done first).
2) Whatever type of ATBC being installed, the pigtail, available from
the Ford dealer, should be spliced into your standard controller
harness, for connection to the four pin ATBC connector.

My experience:

I have successfully(?) installed a BrakeSmart controller in our 2005 Ford. I say "successfully" with a question mark, because I haven't actually towed with it yet (added- works perfectly). However the BrakeSmart does recognize it is connected to an elect. over hydraulic trailer brake system; the controller displays the applied braking pressures, and when the brake pedal is depressed, the trailer hydraulic actuator pressurizes, and should be activating the 5er disc caliper brakes. Yes the "proof" will be in the towing, but all looks good so far. (added - stops very well)

The above mentioned reprogramming was done by a local Ford dealer. The BrakeSmart was installed per the standard instructions for a late model Ford. I used a standard 2004 Ford BrakeSmart harness by cutting off the harness four pin connector, and splicing in the pigtail. The only other parts change is required because Ford changed the brake hydraulic cylinder connections in 2005 to metric threads. Therefore the "tee" furnished with the installation harness kit won't work. The brass "tee" that worked for me is a part number 7921. This fit the connection point for the forward-most hydraulic line. It is a real tight fit space-wise, but we got it in. Possibly the rear-ward connection point might be better because there is more room, but I believe it would require a different "tee". I located the controller in the small drop-down compartment just right of the steering wheel. The compartment can be easily closed when not using the controller. Right now, I have the controller fastened with Velcro. Also, we did not have to drill a hole in the firewall for the hydraulic pressure sensor cable, because there is adequate room in an existing firewall feed through rubber grommet.

By the way, I am not a technical/mechanical type! The above specific a) thru d) install steps were provided by a Ford technical person, and they are absolutely correct for my 2005 Ford (and later for my 2006 Ford)
"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""
All of the above may be moot, if the 2008 IBC is completely different. One thing seems to be the same - the dealers still just don't know.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote