Thread: sofa
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2012, 10:55 AM   #19
USA in a Chevrolet

Re: Sofas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeWorthy
Buddy,
I have the 96" sofa in my MS. I ordered it special with the end tables deleted. I would have deleted the sofa all together but I knew the depth was critical. That is one change I wish I had not made. It was a waste of money. That sofa is so uncomfortable to sit on or lay on. This is due to the fact the only support for the cushions is the folded up bed mechanism. I am thinking the sofa is from Flexsteel but have not confirmed that.

I have removed the bed mechanism and am currently installing an inner box that will support the cushions and provide a bit of storage space. If that doesn't work the sofa is going out. I like the idea of a sofa but maybe a large recliner and a corner desk will work better for us.

Vickie/David, you have me intrigued. From what I have measured I cannot see how that sofa is going to go out the door without being dismanled (destroyed). Did you have to do anything to the sofa to get it out the door? The short one can go out standing up and rotating it out the door but the 96" sofa is too long for that. I was advised by the factory the only way to remove it was through the back window. Billr has suggested a Sawzall will take care of the problem once and for all :)
Thanks for your idea of removing the bed mechanism. We have a 2010 Select 36RESB with a 72" sofa & had the same problem with the sagging bedrame. We had some friends stay with us for 4 nights last week & they said the bed was very uncomfortable. Having gone through 4 days with guests we decided to get rid of the sleeper. Now we have a good excuse for not having overnight guests!

We looked at a replacement for the sofa. We considered a new sleeper bed, recliner love seat or additional recliners. We did not see anything that would work well with our layout. We can look further when we get home.

We decided to remove the bed mechanism in our current sofa & see how that works first. The mechanism is held in by 6 screws on each side. Once you remove the screws, it lifts right out. It only took about 3 hours to remove the mechanism & install a storage area & platform for the cushions. Total cost was $74 as I used 2 sheets of plywood. I decided to install a platform in the bottom of the sofa to keep anything stored there from falling out & interfering with the slide moving in or out. The sofa is much more comfortable now!