View Single Post
Old 10-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #4
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
It is too bad that the SOITC website seems to be still down--a majority of the newer owners posted about their units there.

Be aware that DRV is now owned by Heartland/Thor....

As far a major problems, I seem to hear about those with just about EVERY brand now and again--seems the industry is still in the "Don't buy a unit made on Monday or Friday"--except that DRV units take much longer than a day to make.

I would get any agreement to have the unit serviced by a "properly qualified mobile technician" in writing from both DRV AND the selling dealer. The PDI is also a very important part of the sale--strictly dependent on the integrity of the selling dealer.

Rolling Retreats and RVs4Less seem to get good reports on the quality of the PDI that they do for the DRV units.

Have you considered a Mobile Suites instead of a Tradition? Have you looked at both yet? Recommend that you do that before purchase...

Let us know how it goes...

ON EDIT: I have assumed that you were looking at new--is the Tradition a used unit?

Joe
Joe: The Tradition is a new unit. We cannot afford the more costly models (Elite Suites, Mobile Suites, etc) without tapping into the 401k, and that would bring on a triple whammy tax penalty since my wife is still working (the tax on the withdrawal, the resulting increased tax rate on her income, and the application of the increased marginal tax rate to an INCREASED portion of my Social Security!!! Check the tax rules that apply to taxation of Social Security!).

The only reason we can really afford the Tradition is that the Tradition units are being unusually aggressively discounted right now as DRV apparently is phasing them out.

We cannot fulltime travel yet, as my "trophy" wife is 6 years younger than me, and so cannot get Medicare yet, so she needs to keep her job for a while longer. Because we plan to leave this area after she retires, we don't want to buy a home, and both home and apartment rents are ridiculously high here right now due to an influx of people due to a strong local economy. Fulltiming living in one of a couple of good local RV resorts makes economic sense as well as being more fun and (hopefully) lower maintenance because no lawncare, etc! Plus, the interior of a DRV is way, way nicer than any home or apartment we could afford or justify.

All these factors make the Tradition a sensible economic choice.

I have examined the specs of the Tradition versus the other model lines, and we find them fine for us. We have also been inside used examples of the other models recently and can therefore compare what we see today or tomorrow in the Tradition model to those.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote