View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 07:51 AM   #4
Motor31

When I had my bearings checked shortly after purchase in 05 by a Dexter rep, he explained the torque process. If the tires is removed reinstall and torque to 150 lbs. After 20 to 50 miles re torque the lugs. After 150 miles re torque the lugs and you are done. To date I have never had any of the lugs loosen between the miles when I re torqued them. I have found that the cone lug nuts do tend to "bite" into the wheels and will take a considerable effort to remove them far above the actual torque value.

As a further bit of info I caution anyone who has a shop change their tires to watch the placement of the jack. If they are going to lift one wheel make sure they place the jack under the spring mount at the axle. Placing the jack under the bare axle inside the spring (closer to center)WILL bend the axle. They are thin wall tube axles just as the frame is a thin walled rectangular tube. I'm on my second rear axle because of that and it caused me to replace the tires earlier than expected.

I know DRV and Dexter state that to change a tire you are supposed to lift the entire frame but that is hardly likely on the side of the road and most shops are unfamiliar (an unequipped) with that process as well.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote