Thread: Kitchen sink
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
RodeWorthy

Popane/CO Detector problems

Hmmm...... gasssing batteries? Now there could be something to that. We have four 6-Volt batteries with the extra compartment built into the basement. I did a lot of rewiring in there this past summer during the installation of the solar system. Sealed up openings well but there is one area I did not because I want to modify it to install a main battery disconnect. Need to look at that.

No doubt my batteries have been active because I am experimenting with relying on the solar for most of the charging. We use around 100 AH a day and the batteries charge during the day. Most of the problem I have had with the propane detector have been at night when not charging. This is not a low voltage condition. My instruments tell me the lowest voltage I saw the night the latest failure occurred was 12.2VDC. The documentation says the instrument will work down to 7 VDC.

There is a large hole where the detector wiring feeds into the bottom step area. No doubt it is open to the basement area but sealing that hole would make that compartment pretty tight. But any fumes getting to the unit would come by the front, not inside the step area.

The meter is probably sensitive to trace elements of propane gas so is it possible we would not smell these? There are other types of gas that also affect the sensors. Who knows. We have been tightly closed up at night because it has been cold. But the bottom line is the alarm clears when exposed to fresh air. That leads me to believe the instrument is acting as intended.

I reinstalled the alarm today and it went through its sensor cleaning stage (blinking green light) and then went to normal operation. A subsequent test shows the alarm memory is clear.

If it alarms again I will contact MIT Industries directly. The mfg date of the alarm is May 2007 consistent with the mfg date of our trailer. We are a bit early for the 5-year required replacement but if it has to be it has to be. Maybe I can get lucky and get the same results as Bill and Mike.

Thanks for reporting your eperiences with the alarm.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote