View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 PM   #27
JimGnitecki

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry and jo View Post
Still don't remember what the phrase was, but the ground is probably what it was. I think it is because our Honda has a "floating ground." Your comment about that reminded me that on other forums, I've read where they recommended getting a "bonded plug" to plug into an outlet on the generator that solves that problem.

I found this on another forum that was for boaters (sailors?), where one obviously can't install a ground for the generator: "Cheapest fix is to make a neutral/ground bonding plug by running a wire from the ground to the neutral in a new three prong plug. Mark the plug so you will remember what it is. plug this plug into one of your outlets on the generator and the surge protector will see it as grounded."

Here's a link to an article on it.

Generator Ground-Neutral Bonding

Terry
That makes sense, Terry, but introduces another "problem".

All the guides to wiring an RV make a big deal about NOT connecting the neutral bus in the loadcenter (i.e. the electrical panel on the RV) to the ground bus in the loadcenter, as you would normally do in a home. Connecting the neutral and ground via the special plug, at the generator, achieves the same "prohibited" connection, just at a different point in the overall circuit.

I am no electrician, but I THINK maybe the reason for this prohibition on connecting the neutral and ground is that if you get a ground fault in the RV (leakage of current too small to flip off the circuit breaker, but a leakage nevertheless), the separation of the ground from the neutral prevents YOU from becoming the "ground" when you step into or out of the RV, with one foot on the ground and one on the RV step. Again, I am not at all sure about this, but simply remember vividly the strong cautions to not make that neutral to ground connection.

Jim G
JimGnitecki is offline   Reply With Quote