Thread: Trombetta
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
RodeWorthy

Emergency workaround for failed Trombetta

Interesting. I had two fail during our 6 month trip to the SW. Now I carry a spare. Vendor claims they never have a problem with them but I beg to differ. Be aware there are various versions of these dual relays -- the marine grade product is considered superior. You identify them by the color of the posts. I will retrieve my spare and report on that later so I do not make a mistake.

If one does fail it usually fails on one side only. The cylinders will work in one direction only. This can leave you in a real predicament. I found that if I swapped the wires on the pump the direction of operation is reversed. This allowed me to reverse the direction of cylinder travel but the wires have to be swapped again every time a reversal is needed. We used this method for 4 days while traveling until we could get a new relay. That wire swapping got old in a hurry and I was very relieved to get the replacement. It did however allow us to continue using our trailer and unhitch the truck.

To get at the pump wires I removed the wall section of the hydraulic cabinet from inside the front basement access door.

Did you find your Trombetta is directly connected to the battery without benefit of fusing or circuit breaker? Mine is that way and the Trombetta has been used as 12VDC power access for several accessories as well. Not a good situation.

'07 Mobile Suites 36RS3 #3910
Mor/ryde IS, Trailersaver TS3 hitch
Level-Up with Remote Control
4 x 135W Solar Panels, Outback Controller, 4 x 6V batteries, Xantrex Inverter/Charger
'08 Chevy 3500 dually Duramax/Allison
RodeWorthy is offline   Reply With Quote