Thread: Lippert Frames
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
JPHarris

Quote:
Originally Posted by morscuba
Just because the front axle didnt break hitting the obstruction doesnt mean SQUAT!!!. And if you really look around at some of the weld shops and RV shops they have plenty of work to do on axle and undercarrage's. I think maybe some of the folks on the forum gotta bad case of "lets blame someone, anyone".
I'm not trying to blame anyone, I just want to know why it happened. I've hit many potholes with my cars and trucks and never broke anything. If they can build a car or truck to withstand potholes then why can't they build an RV to hold up to them?
In 2005 DT was using 7000 lb axles, in 2006 I think it was they went to 8000 axles as standard equipment, why? maybe they figured out the 7000 lb axle isn't enough under their trailer.
As another poster said it might be in issue with the 36RE3 with more weight on the left side. The 2 units they I know of that failed were both 36RE3 with left side spring hangers broken.
I had my individual wheels weighed at the first MS Rally, front axle had 6175 lbs with 3500 of that on the left side, rear axle had 6125 lbs with 3200 lbs of that on the left tire, I know they are heavier on the left side.
It wouldn't take more than $100.00 in steel to beef up the frame where they weld the spring hangers, I really don't see it being a big deal.
I will tell you this much, when you are driving on the interstate doing 65 MPH and you look in your mirror and see your tire and axle just flopping around back there and your A--hole puckers up I don't think you will be apologizing for Lippert or DT then.
Cape May, NJ & Fort Myers, Fl. and anywhere else we decide to roam.
JPHarris is offline   Reply With Quote