View Single Post
Old 10-11-2007, 03:50 PM   #40
keithandpenne

Learning about Tow Trucks

Our 05 36TK3 had been safely pulled a little over 18000 miles since we took delivery by our factory stock '96' Dodge 3500 - 4x4 - V10 - auto trans with 3:73 gears.

It pulled the load very easily but I did not like the braking ability of the unit. It originally had a cheap brake controller which I replaced with a Prodigy and it made day and night difference, but stopping was still sort of "will it or won't it."

Defensive driving and "luck" helped get us safely to where we are today.

I have followed the HDT forum for almost 5 years, while attempting to encourage my co-pilot into seeing the virtues of a big toter. Bottom line, she did not want to drive one and would not become a "chauffeured" or "stay at home" lady, even though an HDT could replace our old Dodge for half of the cost of a new puck-up.

I have looked at and driven the new Dodge 4500. Like the Cummins and 6 speed trans with the factory exhaust brake. Wish I could have hooked up to a 5th wheel and pulled it a few miles. Nice truck but it is still a cab-chassis and the gross combined weight rating with their best (deepest) gear (4:10) it is still rated 7000 lbs under the F450 and the out the door price after adding a bed or box is way more than the Ford. The back seat area of the Ford is huge compared to the Dodge unless you go to the Mega cab which only comes with the short box. Hopefully, Dodge will see the light for next year.

Bottom line, after our first pull with our new F450, from KC to Ft Worth, I could not believe the difference in how it handled the same trailer and load we had been pulling. The Ford factory brake controller worked very smoothly (better than the Prodigy) and sure gave us a higher comfort level, especially after I35W traffic came to a quick halt in Ft Worth and the rig came to a very quick and controlled stop. We also noted that there was very little of the previously experienced rough road "chuck or chugging" we had experienced on the same roads, and we attributed it to the longer wheel base from the crew cab which changed the roads "harmonics."

For those who are using a truck that is under-rated for the load your pulling, I would only suggest you find someone who will let you make a "test drive" pulling your trailer with a truck that is rated for your trailer and its load. I think you too will be as surprised as we were at the new level of comfort and safety it will provide.
keithandpenne is offline   Reply With Quote