View Single Post
Old 09-13-2007, 03:12 PM   #33
rdunk

On a post of this subject area, the responses are usually based upon each of our personal experiences with our own equipment, and include some insight to our own fears and feelings of safety. The Dodge mentioned above has never been rated even close for some of the heaver Suites, yet many feel completely safe using a Dodge for their tow vehicle. I don't know about this year, but prior, only the Ford F350, with Towboss, has had high enough factory ratings for these heavier Suites ( rated for 26,000 GCWR, and up to 19,200 Max Tow Weight, depending upon cab config, and 2x or 4x drive).

CAT scale weights for our fully loaded for fulltiming RE3 showed we are just under everything, except our GCWR was about 250lbs over, which is easily manageable. We feel completely safe, and comfortable using the TowBoss Ford for our towing. Neither my wife, nor I, have any desire to have a HDT, or similar, as our fulltime driver. But then that is just us, for the few that do use those big trucks seem to like them just fine.

Someone mentioned a concern about the tow vehicle stopping 19,000lbs, I am not sure I understand that concern, because fifth wheels are designed to stop themselves. If you have a good brake controller, and good brakes on the 5er, then the 5er should stop itself.

Of course, if you are really concerned about stopping the 5er safely and quickly, then disc brakes are much better than band brakes. I have seen comparison tests on the internet with results that show disc brakes stop the 5er in a much shorter distance. Mor/ryde talks about disc brakes stopping in up to a 30% shorter distance. Now that could mean the difference between a safe stop, and having an unfortunate situation. A good friend just had their original Suite band brakes replaced with disc brakes. After towing with the discs, he said he would never tow again without disc brakes, because they stop so much better. Our RE3 has discs, and I have gotten on them hard a couple of times. Great stopping power

Coincidentally, many, if not most, of those I have met who use the HDT's, for 5er TV's, are former truckers who would drive nothing else, and who are sources of good experience and help for anyone considering getting a larger tow vehicle.

FWIW!

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote