View Single Post
Old 09-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #31
Gemstone

One issue not mentioned in detail was cost. For less than the cost of a modifed 1 Ton, you can be the proud owner of a HDT, fully modified, ready to tow anything you can imagine, for as long as you are able to drive. A MDT probably makes more sense for pulling our units.... until you get to the cost factor.
We too went with a 3500...Dodge SRW and are now moving up to a HDT.

Loaded pin weight was heavy for the Dodge, so air bags were installed to level the truck. For lack of good mileage on the Dodge, a chip was installed..which just happened to increase torque and HP as well. Then for slowing power (after a white knuckle/seat pucker situation) we installed a Jake Brake. So, now we can pull level, have plenty of pulling power, have plenty of slowing power for down grades...but what about stopping power ???? There is not enough brakes there for me to feel comfortable with 19K pounds behind me, thus our decision to make one last vehicle change...for far less $$$ than we have invested in the Dodge we now have a HDT. All is not lost however...we are keeping the Dodge for DW's commute vehicle, and to pull our 20' Motorcycle "garage/shop".
Anyboby looking for a displaced 2004 Jetta for a Toad ?

"Learning", we wish you well on you journey. And do I understand correctly...your hitch installer only bolted the hitch to the bed of the P/U ?

Regards
Gemstone