View Single Post
Old 07-28-2007, 11:37 PM   #9
rdunk

For Ford IBC........

I went thru this integrated brake controller problem with the Ford controller, in my 2005 F350. I was getting disc brakes on the Suites. Ford said their IBC worked only with electric brakes. So, that meant I needed an aftermarket controller anyway. Yes, Dexter did redesign their brake actuator, and yes, Ford's IBC did (does) work with the Dexter brake actuator.

Yes, is was very difficult to find anyone who could explain how to install an aftermarket brake controller over the Ford IBC. I finally did determine how it was to be done, and did it on both the 2005 F350, and the current 2006 F350. Very simple, at least for my trucks. First, the instrument cluster module has to be reprogrammed by a Ford Service Tech to a "no trailer brake controller existing" condition. This step deactivates completely the Ford IBC. There are two connectors attached to the back of the Ford IBC. One connector is for the Ford IBC, and the other is for an aftermarket controller cable connection that must be removed from the IBC, for use with the aftermarket controller. Also there is a mating pigtail connector for aftermarket controllers, that is either furnished with your truck, or can be obtained from a Ford parts place. This pigtail connector is generally furnished with the trucks that do not have the IBC installed

I chose the Brakesmart controller, because I believe sensing the hydraulic brake pressure of the tow vehicle, for application of braking on the 5er by the controller, is the very best technology, for safely braking in all situations.

Any specific Ford IBC related questions in this subject area, feel free to PM me. I am no expert, but I have been thru this just a little.

Hope this helps! Won't help Ponch much though, since he has one of those off brand GMC trucks. Actually, the fix for aftermarket controller for the "Jimmy" may be similar to the Ford!

Good luck all.

Robert and Carlene

2005 RE3, S/N 2107 (sold Jan. 2010)
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote