View Single Post
Old 05-30-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Oldsailor69

Jack congrats on your upcoming retirement. I'm retired Navy. Just a couple of thoughts after 20 years of RVing. Truck. Ford, Chevy and Dodge are all pretty close now. Still talk to a lot of Ford guys that aren't happy. Chevy guys (like me) are always pleased as are the Dodge Ram guys. My cut is both are great if your going diesel (the best option for towing) with the Dodge being a little louder that either Ford or Chevy but a strong power train. Chevy is a fine drive train too.

RV's. They all have their issues. As the guy at the Carraige factory told me before they went out of business (good rig just bad economic times) ..... all RV's are "earth quakes on wheels". That pretty much sums it up. Weak areas on many are the slide out mechanisms. Talk to independent repair shops that have "no dog in the fight" about recurring problems with particular brands. Size. 40 foot is real long. We do fine with our 36 but 4 more feet could be an issue in many parks and nearly all National Parks.
Any rate, happy RVing. Do your research and not buy into the sales pitches. Lastly, buying a well maintained used rig is a great way to go but the key is well maintained.
Hope this helps.
Oldsailor69 is offline   Reply With Quote