View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #13
Motor31

Barney,

Yup the slide floors are just insulated by plywood. Look at how thin the floor is and you'll see there is no room for insulation there.

Second issue is that DRV feels that a wiper seal (single in my rigs case) is all that is needed to seal around the slides for both rain and air transfer. I don't know about you but I don't think a single piece of rubber less than a 1/4" thick is very insulating, especially when they cut four 5" long holes in the seal under a very long slide. When the sun is low it lets day light in as well as air, dirt, bugs and anything else that can fit. Those seals cover a lot of area as the slides are pretty large. The door side slide is also not centered in the opening either so the wiper next to the door has a very small contact point.

We had an excel before this rig. It had additional bulb style seal around the inside mating surface of every slide to seal against air and water movement to the inside in addition to the wiper seal. We were going to buy another excel except they only go up to 36' and have 60 gallon fresh water tanks. We wanted a larger rig and more water.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote