Thread: MS Tire Balance
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 07:37 AM   #9
traveler

I, too, have decided to stick with Goodyear. For one thing, I can not find another G rated tire-16"- that I like. I will, however change them out at about 17,000 miles or so. That is about 3 years for me.

At that mileage they still look pretty good.

I use Pressure Pro monitors and they work fine. I especially like not having to use a guage to measure tire pressures while I am traveling.

I had my first blowout last summer and did some minor damage to the MS. Goodyear paid for the new tire and all damage, not just my insurance deducitible. About $1870.

I did find a little problem in finding tires on the road. These tires are not plentiful. When I went to buy, there was one in Alburquerque-I bought it.
One in Flagstaff. I bought that one too. and two in Portland. I bought one of those. Bottom line, I now have new tires, plus two spares. One is on a rim. The other lives in the basement. It is not good, I found, not to be able to get a tire when you want one. Like at 3 pm on a Saturday afternoon, 40 miles west of Amarillo.

Having said all of this, who makes a decent G rated 16 inch tire. I do not want to go to 17.5 inch tires. I am not overloaded--about 16,500 lbs loaded out--and tow with a 2006 dually F350 Tow boss, which works great, both pulling and stopping and has proven to be a very stable tow vehicle.

One last thing. Is it a foregone conclusion that with 17.5 inch 125 psi tires that you will not have a blowout or tread separation? I get the impression from all tha posts that this solves the blowout issue. I find that a little hard to believe. I will say this, however, if changing to the larger tires would guarantee no blowout-ever- it would be worth the cost.
traveler is offline   Reply With Quote