Thread: MS Tire Balance
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
sigo'suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel-Gypsy
Sigo, who did the tire & wheel swap?
Did they re-lug the hubs / drum?
If it's not too personal, what was the final cost?
These G-rated 16" Goodyears worry me constantly...
Rick
I bought the wheels online at:
http://www.trailertiresandwheels.net...roduct/0377865

As you will note if you read about these wheels on the website, they do not require the changing of wheel studs; i.e. they still use the 9/16" studs and come complete with lugnuts and center caps. Thus they would work with either the 7000# or 8000# axles, which is what I already have. With the Alcoa's you have no choice but to go to the 8000# axles because they are hub piloted, require 5/8" studs etc.; all at considerable additional cost even if you have the 8000# axles.

You can search an earlier post of mine which gives all the information which I got from SouthWest Wheel in Dallas when I was doing my research prior to the change.

I bought Good Year G114 tires from the local dealer after doing quite a bit of research on different tires, but came to the conclusion that due to Good Year's history of stepping up to the plate when failures occurred I would stick with them.

Opted to replace all 4 and spare, 5 tires & wheels $2586.46 total out the door and I am real happy with them thusfar if for no other reason than peace of mind.

Having said that,
FOR SALE: 4 Good Year 16" G614 tires with some less than 5000 miles on Aluminum wheels and 1 never on the ground on a steel wheel.
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote