View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 08:42 AM   #33
Rockyhud

Until a few years ago we had a Jeep CJ-7 that I had modified quite extensively over many years time for hard core trail use. At one point, many years back, our 4x4 club had an opportunity to buy what Optima then referred to as "seconds" - batteries that were functionally fine but had slight cosmetic issues that weren't up to the standards for retail sales. I bought a red top for the CJ and was absolutely blown away with how good it was - using the Warn winch for extended run times didn't phase it and this battery lasted 12 years before I finally had to replace it. By then Optima had moved their factory to Mexico and the replacement battery didn't last but about 4-5 years and never seemed to have the reserve power the first one had.

I sold the Jeep to our son-in-law in 2010 as by then I was much more focused on big game hunting than 4-wheeling and the truck got me everywhere I needed to go so the Jeep pretty much didn't get used. He had to buy a new battery shortly after and tried another red top Optima. He had the same poor service life as I had on the second one I tried. No more Optima batteries for us now.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote