View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #3
Big Doofus

Wow,....My wife just showed me the fax that was sent & the instructions are for checking to see if the unit is faulty. What the heck is this all about? The instructions boil down to flipping the thing on it's side, drilling a hole in the bottom of it, then flipping it back upright to see if fluid comes out. Then says if there is no evidense of fluid loss from the hole you just drilled then you (get this) place unit in aluminum pan, reinstall harness connector & reinstall in place. Now, if the unit was good, you have a unit with a hole drilled in it. What kind of chicken $%&# fix is this?

I've built dozens of gooseneck trailers & since the elec./hydraulic actuators have been on the market just about everyone of them have proven to be crap & this is just more proof of that. I had never heard of the ActiBrake brand when we bought the trailer.
The 3-4 hot shot trailers I have around here right now have the dexter unit on them and they seem to perform well.

The funniest thing about this brake actuator is where the boobs mounted it. Ideally just as in electric brakes you'll have a wire failure somewhere before you have a steel tubing failure. When I first started looking around for the actuator I assumed it would be up in the battery box compartment closest to the hitch, then it would be easy enough to run steel tubing down the frame to the wheel calipers. After asking a question here about where the dang thing was located I couldn't believe they put it in with a bunch of other stuff routed all around it & over the top. Couldn't even get to the fill port to check to see if it was low. There was an A/C duct running over the top of it. The portion of it that the steel line comes out of is pointing to the back of the trailer so it's about impossible to see any of the fittings or wire connections from the storage compartment. If you ask me that's absolutely idiotic.

I'm pretty certain after I get mine fixed or repaired or whatever the %&^(*&% they are gonna do with it, then I'm gonna pull it out of that spot & move it to a more user friendly area & run more steel line. I still scratch my head about where the dang thing is located.

Sorry for the rant, :evil: but you guys that have had these things looked at, are they actually doing this proceedure to check it? Or are they pulling the unit out & replacing it with another brand? (which is fine with me) Or, are they installing a better version of this ActiBrake?
Our Wagon.....2007 36SB3 #3625

Justa Nudder Day Out Hear in Wes Taycksus Y'all

Dragin' it with a 2001 Ford F-450