View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #14
stanleyz

I didn't get a pic but it doesn't matter. I think I see why we come up with different answers about blocks. We are using different equipment. I note on your post above that your landing gear are solid. Because they are solid I agree that you can use a taller block to make the pin go higher.

My jacks are older style. They have an inner tube that can drop from 1 inch to about a max of ten to twelve inches and then be pinned to stay there. After I have set the drop where I want it and pinned the tube I extend the jacks. By adjusting that inner tube downward I am doing the same thing you are doing by putting blocks under solid jacks. Reducing the distance from the bottom of the retracted jacks to a hard surface.

When I park on a level site my trailer is almost level and it is about 10 to 12 inches from the jack pads to the ground. So I usually put down 4 inch blocks and 4 inches of drop on the inner tube. That has always left me with plenty of lift to clear the hitch. The 4 inch block plus the 4 inch drop is the same as an 8 inch block with solid jacks. Now, if I put down 8 inch blocks I can not adjust my inner tube down at all. I need to leave a couple inches of room to make a fine tune adjustment to level. OK. You with me? In the first case I have a 4 inch block plus 4 inch adjustment, or 8 inches plus the hydraulic lift. In the second case I have 8 inches of block and 0 inches of adjustment or 8 inches plus the hydraulic lift. If I chose to I could put down a 6 inch block and 2 inches of adjustment and I would have 8 inches plus the hydraulic lift. All of those would lift the pin box the same distance. On my equipment the taller blocks make no difference.

If you have no way to adjust your jacks then yes you would go higher with 8 inch blocks than with 4. I would not unless I choose to not use the inner tube adjustment but there is no logical reason to do that