View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #15
hitchup

We have the Canadian pkg on our 2009 MS. It wasn't offered when our 2006 ES was built. Which means 2- smaller furnaces. The ES had 1 and it went out the first full winter in GA. We had it fixed and then it went out again. So we lived with 3-space heaters and an electric blanket. Furnace had loose wires both times, but still a good test even though it was an annoyance.

While we haven't been in -30 degrees, we have been down to -9 with an even lower wind chill in MD/MO. We've experienced snow and at least 1 ice storm. We never skirt and are slightly more comfortable in the cold in the MS than ES. We monitor the basement temps and when it's really cold, put a space heater down there, too even with the heat pads on the tanks. The 2010's & up have thicker basement doors than ours.

I don't feel the air leakage (cold or heat gain) near the slideout window where I sit as much in the MS as the ES. But we also replaced the inefficient day/night shades with residential dual honeycomb blinds within the first year. And we use homemade lined or store-bought blackout curtains over all the windows in main living area. This also helps with the heat gain from the blazing sun in south TX or GA. I used to wear a sweater in the ES, but usually just a long sleeved shirt is sufficient in the MS.

I'm in the Suite 24/7 when DH is working. So I'm aware of all tempurature changes and if something freezes, etc. The only time we've had frozen water was when DH drug his feet to insulate the water hose. It's all about preparation and how you customize when it's ordered.

We also eliminated windows in the kitchen and behind the TV. If we would have thought, we would have eliminated the one in the bathroom as well. It serves no purpose since the skylight gives us ample light in the daytime.
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005
hitchup is offline   Reply With Quote