View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #41
Beachgirl

Gemstone,

Thank you for your suggestion.
I did hunt for a used F450...and I found one at a great price, low miles, 7.3 liter diesel (the good engine :)]. Only the towing stats weren't really up to the MS 38RSSB3, and the 2011 Chevy can handle much more than the older F450, surprisingly enough. The newer F450 (2008) has 650 lb/ft of torque, and the 2011 Chevy has 725! The 2008 F450 can tow 24,500 lbs, and the 2011 Chevy can haul up to 21,700. Though the dually we want, + crew cab, is rated only to 21,100. There were 2 things going against the Ford...my insurance co. USAA won't insure them, and the diesel engine hasn't been as great as that 7.3 L was. We have the 7.3L now and love it. Ford wins in creature comforts, hands down. And the new F350 has stats equal to the Chevy...I'm just scared of the new engine this year. This test drive article has also influenced me :

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/11...e-rockies.html

Terry,

Thank you for your post. It caused me to fine comb the Chevy' stats, including visiting 2 dealers. Here's what I learned: The GCVW is indeed 29,200 lbs...and the truck itself, one passenger, full tank, has a curbside weight of 7300 lbs. That was taken off an actual truck. However, the test truck above weighed 8200 lbs, so who knows. :) That leaves me with a truck payload of 2400- 3400 lbs (29200- 18500 MS GVRW). Taking in to account passenger weights and hitch weight, that still leaves us an 1800-2800 lb leeway. We might carry 3-400 pounds cargo in the truck, but not usually. That's also if we are maxed out in the trailer...but we aren't fulltimers, so doubt we will be that heavy. Thank you for raising the point. If I missed something, please tell me. I'm really trying to do my homework here. :)

Our only concern now is the height of the Chevy (which we haven't bought yet) and leveling the MS. We did order the TrailSaver TS3. It was on sale. :)

I'm sure Capt Ducks will be posting, but I wanted to let y'all know what we've been up to and what we have arrived at so far.

I also priced RV insurance, and with full replacement cost, it will be $866. a year, using Progressive.

That's all for now. :)

Happy New year everybody!! Thank all of you again for taking the time to post and guide us. We are so appreciative!

Beachgirl
Beachgirl is offline   Reply With Quote