View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Motor31

I had one installed by the DRV factory as an option I ordered with the trailer. Very very bad idea. The hitch was never welded properly. It was held on by small "spot" welds with no penetration to the metal of the hitch or frame. It was held only by welding rod slag. The hitch also hung down below the rear of the trailer a good 4" to 5" and self removed itself when it contacted a sloping driveway exiting to the street. It then relocated itself into the rear cap.

DRV made good on the repairs only after I drove back to the factory more than 1200 miles with the hitch and threatened legal action. I kept the hitch and brought it with us. The inferior quality of the welds was painfully obvious and the folks at Charger helped to convince DRV that they were on the wrong side of the issue. That happened during the 2 year factory warranty that DRV no longer offers.

If you do use a bike hitch, keep in mind the bike(s) will be on a long arm that will be swinging on every bump. That flexing can lead to failure of the hitch, bike mount and damage to the trailer or another vehicle if it separates onto the roadway. That has happened and since it's on the back of the trailer you will probably never notice it until you stop and do a walk around.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote