View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #9
Motor31

I would look at several of the options as either needed or not.

I would get the second AC / heat pump and stay with the 15k units. In the hot SW we NEED both AC units to stay comfortable in our 38'.

I'd drop the fireplace. Keep the manual 2nd awning. It helps ALOT in the summer to cut cooling costs.

Drop the Onan and the gen prep. It just takes up space and won't be used enough to justify it. It's also a fuel HOG unless you really like buying propane. Your Honda 3000 will run a single AC unit just fine as well as other items simultaneously as long as you switch the fridge and water heater to propane. The microwave may pull too much if the AC is going though, I don't know for sure. We use a single Honda 2000 for dry camping and it does everything we need except the air conditioner and washer drier. If it's hot I want BOTH AC units and shore power. The Honda 3000 will charge the batteries just fine and handle the rest of the house too.

Unless you plan on dry camping a lot, the 4 battery bank may be overkill. We dry camp for a week at a time here in AZ. using two 12 volt batteries in the "stock" battery tray and a Honda 2000. Those four 6 volt batteries are HEAVY and will increase your pin weight and decrease your CCC.

Drop the auto seek antenna. I have an earlier model and it is now no longer in production, even for parts and no longer compatible with TV receivers for the auto seek function. It also won't work if you park in the trees anyhow. Use a ground mount with two 50' coils of coax cable.

I would also consider dropping the level up system. We don't have it and can level up fine with boards and or the "leggo" style block a ton cheaper than more hydraulics. It also saves on the CCC of the trailer. The trailer is already going to be very heavy and you will need the capacity for your "stuff". Don't forget you will need a bigger than 1 ton truck for the load too.

I would not get the back up camera or the tire pressure monitoring system. You can get the tire pressure gadget after market probably cheaper. Same for the camera. I have been towing for over 5 years now and haven't felt the need for the "back up" camera.

I would shop around and price the air mattress thingy for installation later on. I'd bet you could save money putting it in yourself. Let them install the regular cheap mattress and give it away.

Let the factory install the stack-able washer and drier. Putting them in later after the unit is built will be a real major PITA. You WILL enjoy being able to do laundry in house instead of hunting laundromats. Trust me on this as we have tried both ways and Momma says no washer and drier, no deal. Forget the splendide units, major PITA to use and microscopic load capacity.

The fantastic fans are a great addition. Get two, one in the bedroom and the other in the kitchen. Also get the covers for them so you can use them in the rain. I wish we had done that for air flow during light rain instead of needing to use the AC units.

I don't like slide toppers. I have heard lots of them flapping in the wind and self destructing due to wind and sun damage. If stuff gets blown under them it's harder to sweep the slide clean than without them.
2005 MS 38RL
2007 Saturn Ion "toad"
2010 Gold Wing "piggyback"
Motor31 is offline   Reply With Quote