View Single Post
Old 02-22-2018, 04:12 PM   #38
Rockyhud

Yeah, I know what you mean - especially attaching "old" to the description. My dad was very frugal when it came to the farm equipment and what he bought and used was a testament to that. He had a liking for Allis-Chalmers tractors and up to a while after I started working with him the only tractor he had had absolutely NO "luxury" features. It had a hand crank up front for starting the engine, a lever operated clutch, no power steering or brakes, no cab to keep dust and heat out and no hydraulics - it just used manually operated implements that used a pull rope and cam to lift and drop the implement. The last and most modern tractor finally had electric start and a hydraulic pump to attach a ram to that was transferred from one implement to the other as needed. Neither of the tractors could pull more than a 3-bottom plow and that made plowing especially slow turning the ground over and finishing the job. Each time we'd go round the field, it seemed like the width of ground turned over on each pass was about as wide as a 19" lawn mower makes cutting grass. We always produced as much wheat per acre as anyone else - it just took longer getting the field prepped and sown. He always justified the old equipment, saying it got the work done and he didn't have enormous payments to the bank for fancy stuff, and that let him keep more of the earnings as a result. Hard to find fault with that.
2011 Mobile Suites 38TKSB3 #5509
Rockyhud is offline   Reply With Quote