View Single Post
Old 11-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Wisc-Mike

My wife and I set up the scooter carrier just under its installed position and loaded the scooter to check any obstruction with the lights or drivers view.
It will be 3" higher on the new receiver. See attached pictures.

I think it looks very doable. We would remove the windshield, mirrors, front fender and rear cargo carrier for better visibility and eliminate light obstruction. I would also add welded on additional supporting tubes from the sides of the frame hitch to help support the load and prevent rocking or unnecessary movement. Also add more tie downs. I would rather be on the side of overkill than have a problem on the road.

The added weight is well within the truck load limit for the front.

We tried putting this on the back of the factory Mobile Suites receiver but it did not look safe and would be over the 300 lbs tongue weight limit. The hitch could be beefed up, but I do not want to affect the factory warranty.

We plan to put the 2 bike carrier back there, which has worked out very well in about 500 miles of towing so far.

All the thoughts and suggestions have been very helpful! I agree it may be necessary to drive at night when needed and safety is very important.
Wisc-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote