View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #20
bstark

There's just too much missing from the O/P's information to go at this with any success from remote keyboards.

Examples:

Kodiac or Dexter.
Worn pads in one post but brakes gone in another.

Why are the pads worn out? relying upon the trailer brakes too much? If so then towing without them is even more dangerous if you were over reliant on them before.

These things are the simplest units to work on and gotta say it; I found changing out the pads of the Dexter system to be far easier than all of the bumph you go through to change out a set of electric pads.

In all the miles we put on our unit I only changed them once and they weren't that bad even then.

Any trailer service place and a good deal of the tire service shops would likely be able to perform this chore in an hours time given they have the parts in their mitts and you haven't scored the disks to scrap in the process of towing without material left on the pad backing plates.

The O/P would find the info for service he would likely need at the very first RV park he pulled into. Just ask the front desk or canvass the owners of any larger trailers sitting in there and bets are they'll know where you can get it done.

To the O/P do anything you have to do to prevent towing with poor trailer brakes up to and including throwing youself on the mercy of a local chapter member of Good Sams club.

If you were anywhere near me way up here in Ontario, Canada I'd do it for you in a heartbeat.

Good luck.