View Single Post
Old 08-22-2007, 08:45 PM   #23
sigo'suite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdunk
Quote: "There used to be residential style refridgerators for park model trailers that were dual mode of propane and 115V. I wonder whatever became of those types?

I wonder if googling the major appliance mfgr's would be worth the trouble?"
---------------------------------------------------------------
There are some RV mfgrs. putting residential fridges in their 5th wheels now, probably as an option. One that we saw at a show was in an Alpenlite. It was a stainless steel fridge with a large bottom drawer freezer, which was the same as we had in out home at the time. It was a 110V fridge. They also offered up to six batteries, plus a solar panel, to provide some power while traveling. I believe they said these would power the fridge for 6 or 7 hours.

For infrequent "camping" for a few days or few weeks at a time, the Dometic/Norcold type fridges might be ok, but for fulltime RV'ing, we need a compressor operated refrigerator/freezer, just like home.

Just FYI - In this hot weather, our fridge was getting down to the 38-40 degree range at night, and then would spend most of the day in the 40-44 degree range, depending somewhat how many times we opened the door. For us, that is not cold enough. So, I disconnected the thermister a few days ago, from the system board on the back of the fridge. Now, over night I am a little concerned about stuff freezing, since the fridge temp gets down to the 31-33 degree range. During the day, with use, it is going up to the 34-36 degree range. Wow, this works good for us! Being concerned about possible freezing, I have taken out one of the two fridge fans from inside the fridge.

With the thermister disconnected, the fridge defaults to run on high. I don't know if this will result in a fridge problem, if left that way, but I do think this shows that the thermister is probably faulty. I probably am going to run it this way for a while, because it is doing a better job of cooling than it ever has since new. (Have had the cooling unit replaced once)
sigo'suite is offline   Reply With Quote