View Single Post
Old 12-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #36
rdunk

FWIW - Most pinboxes are made of fairly heavy steel, and are rated for umpteen thousands of pounds for all of the impacts of towing, so, I probably wouldn't be as concerned about the adverse effects of a "hanging hitch" on the pinbox, as I would be for the nose structure of the 5er. I have no expertise in this area, but, should there be consideration for possible nose structural impacts while having up to several hundred pounds of static downward force hanging on the pin for days, weeks, or months???

May be no problem, but, we should assume that the 5er mfgrs. are putting no more structure in the nose than is absolutely necessary, for weight and overall cost considerations. Would that include structural allowance in their weights and stress calculations for a hitch hanging on the pinbox??? Probably not! Does that mean negative impact? Who knows?

On this element of this thread, the pinbox mfgr. should be able to answer any question relative to the pinbox, and DRV should be able to give an answer relative to any possible impact upon the structural integrity of the 5er nose, from a "hanging hitch". Might be worth asking!

Robert
rdunk is offline   Reply With Quote